My daughter is in her 3rd month in 6th grade. (k-8 school). This is the first year they are trying a Middle School model with these kids and she is VERY overwhelmed with organization and getting work done on time. In the first 2 months, she missed several homework assignments, etc. To our surprise (I suppose in a positive way) when we got her report card, it was ALL A's & B's with the exception of one C. We had parent teacher conferences last week and they are talking about bringing in Special Ed to talk with all of us, as if there is something wrong with her. She has ALWAYS been an A/B student and obviously still would be if it were not for the homework issues. I know she needs to be more conscientious when it comes to changes classes, etc but I feel like the staff is looking for something that simply isn't there. Anyone have any input or articles that pertain to a child struggling when they made the change to a 'middle school' atmosphere? I realize some of the blame is hers but I think the teachers/staff should be responsible for it being a big change too! Thanks!
Top Ten Articles
- End Homework Hassles
- Top 20 Destinations for Learning
- Kindergarten Academics: What To Expect
- 1st Grade Social Changes: What To Expect
- A Dad Who Makes a Difference
- Homework: Why It Matters
- One Last Dance With My Daughter
- "It’s Worth Every Minute"
- Help Your Child Build Writing Skills
- School and the Internet: What You Should Know