In preparation for Thanksgiving, my 1st grade class had a discussion about what we’re thankful for this holiday. I wanted to share my student’s thoughts because their 6- and 7-year-old perspectives are sweet and innocent, yet surprisingly profound.
- Many children said: “I’m thankful for my family. They are so nice to me.” “They care about me.” “They love me, and I love them.”
- “I’m thankful for trees because they are good to climb, and they give us oxygen, too!”
- “I’m thankful for my little sister, because she’ll walk soon.”
- “I’m thankful for the sun because it makes my face warm.”
- “I like the sun, too. It helps plants to grow.”
- “I’m thankful for my kitty, because when I pat her soft fur it makes me happy.”
- “I’m thankful for all the good food…except the carrots!”
- “I’m thankful for my brother Corey. He’s a Marine, and he’ll be home for Thanksgiving…and I can’t wait to see him!”
One student’s thought really got to the heart of the holiday. He said, “I’m thankful for blessings…even though I don’t see them every day.”
So, here’s to hidden blessings! Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.