Every new school year is full of challenges for students, parents, teachers, and administrators. I’m excited to report that this will be a very different school year for me. For the first time in 25 years, I’m not returning to my 1st-grade classroom. Instead, I’ve been selected ...

A New School Year Means A New Challenge for Students—and This Teacher

Posted by: Connie McCarthy on Sep 04, 2012 in Connie McCarthy, 1st Grade

Connie McCarthy

I’m excited to report that this will be a very different school year for me. For the first time in 25 years, I’m not returning to my 1st-grade classroom. Instead, I’ve been selected as an induction coach for the Rhode Island Department of Education. In my new position, I’ll coach and support 15 first-year teachers, in four communities and eight different schools.

At first I wondered, “How could I possibly not return to my first grade classroom?” Yet, how could I pass up this chance to help beginning teachers and ultimately their students?

Ultimately, it came down to this: I could stay in my class and impact the academic success of 25 incoming students. Or, I could take this new position, with the possibility of impacting the academic success of more than 300 children.  After a summer of careful consideration I decided to choose the job that would allow me to help the greatest number of children—and so I accepted the position of induction coach.

The good news for readers of my School Family blog is that this opportunity will broaden my elementary experiences beyond my own classroom. Can’t wait to share all my new tips and adventures with you, so please keep reading!

Comments

1. Posted by - Seana on Oct. 05, 2012

Hi Connie!

My mom told me you were in this new position! I can't imagine anyone better! My visit to your wonderful first grade classroom was a help to me as I began teaching and that visit is still engraved in my mind a decade later. It was obvious that the kids had trust in you. Best wishes!

Seana
  2. Posted by - Connie McCarthy on Sep. 09, 2012

Thank you all for your lovely and supportive comments!

Posted by LiviaMcCoy on Sep. 08, 2012

Great news, Connie! My favorite week of the year is when I teach at the New Teachers Institute. I feel exactly like you do--that you are potentially making a difference in many more children's lives. Hope you have a great year.
  4. Posted by - Laura on Sep. 06, 2012

What a wonderful way to share all of the knowledge you have about children and their learning! I know that when my children were in your class, I learned a great deal from you as a parent. Best of luck with the new position!
  5. Posted by - Tori on Sep. 06, 2012

Congratulations on your new journey Connie!! What a wonderful job to help these new teachers. You will be missed! Best wishes for your new school year.
  6. Posted by - Wendy on Sep. 06, 2012

There are 300 plus lucky students and 15 very lucky teachers out there who will be learning from the best!
  7. Posted by - Lynn C. on Sep. 05, 2012

Congratulations Mrs. McCarthy!! They certainly are lucky to have you! We will miss you terribly! Can't wait to have you back!
  8. Posted by - Kate on Sep. 05, 2012

Congratulations on your new adventure! They are very, very lucky to have you.