As we are all aware, parents today are stretched in many different directions. Obligations at work, demands of home and family, and the stress of the holiday season can be difficult. Combined with text messages, tweets, emails, cell phone calls, and other electronic distractions, simple pleasures can be overshadowed.
Here is an easy gift for your young child, one that doesn’t require a trip to the mall or hours online. It may well be remembered as the best gift ever. Give your daughter or son the gift of “you”! Make this an electronics-free gift of time.
- Wrap up a card or create a simple certificate to explain how the gift will work. If you have more than one child, plan a day for each, separately.
- Take a weekend or vacation day sometime in the next months. The day could come as early as January, or it could be saved and redeemed during summer vacation.
- Plan to spend it doing your child’s favorite non-electronic activities. They might include building with Legos or blocks, cooking together, coloring or drawing, a tea party, playing board games, playing Hide and Seek or other outdoor games, going on a hike, riding bikes, building a snow fort, going to the library together, reading, going to a beach or pool, etc.
- Vary the activities, and pack or buy an inexpensive lunch of favorite foods.
Make sure the day is spent only with that child, one on one.
- Have your phone with you for emergencies only. Leave all other electronics at home.
As a parent, you will be amazed at how a simple day, spent together with no distractions, can help you understand and appreciate the person your child is becoming!