One expert says a respectful, yet confident, attitude is a key characteristic of students who are “testwise.” These are students who have mastered the tips that, along with good study habits, help them to do well on tests.
Here are some other tips:
• Read instructions carefully. Then read them again. Skipping or skimming instructions is almost a guarantee of botching at least one test question.
• Perk up your ears. Sometimes instructions are given out loud. Urge your child not to let important instructions slip by.
• It’s okay if you don’t understand. If your child has a question about the exam, encourage him to ask the teacher.
• Keep cool. Fear of tests can do in even the brightest student. If your child freezes up, ask a teacher or counselor about calming techniques.
• It’s not over when it’s over. Does your child want a head start on the next test? Have him review recent test results. How could he do better next time?
Copyright © Parent Institute