Some are tall tales like “The dog ate it.”
Here are common excuses and how you might respond:
• “I ran out of time.” Help your child set priorities, and break large tasks into manageable ones. Suggest he complete most important or hardest tasks first. See if he’s overscheduled.
• “I forgot.” Help your child create a system to remember. Provide an assignment book. Suggest making a “To Do” chart.
• “I can’t do it.” Meet with the teacher or tutor. Try to determine if your child really doesn’t know how to do the work. Get help if needed.
• “I wasn’t sure I was supposed to do it.” Suggest your child always call another student when he’s unclear about assignments.
• “The computer lost my homework.” Have him save his work frequently.
Copyright © Parent Institute