1. Talk frequently about how much you appreciate your own education. Or say why you wish you would have learned more.
2. Make sure your teen has necessary study materials at home or at a library.
3. Ask your teen every day about her experiences at school.
4. Support your teen’s efforts to get his schoolwork finished.
5. Build self-esteem by commenting often on your teen’s strengths, not her weaknesses.
6. Boost confidence. Express your belief in your teen’s abilities.
7. Limit television viewing and set rules about talking on the telephone.
8. Give your teen a sense of pride in his ethnic and cultural background.
9. Contact the school, community services or other professionals if you have concerns or need assistance.
10. Join parent support groups for emotional support, and to share information and effective parenting strategies.
Copyright © Parent Institute