So is feeling capable, confident and worthwhile.
When you help your child develop these traits, you equip him with the inner strength to cope with life’s ups and downs. Make sure you:
- Tell your child you think he’s wonderful and fun to be with. Children get their opinions of themselves from their parents.
- Hug, kiss and show you love your child every day.
- Avoid using unkind words or a harsh tone when speaking to your child.
- Focus on your child’s good points.
- Let your child help with household chores. He’ll feel he’s a valuable member of the family.
- Praise your child’s efforts and attempts, not just successes.
- Let your child do what he can for himself.
- Avoid situations that lead to tears and tantrums.
- Find activities that your child can do well.
- Let your child make choices.
Copyright © Parent Institute