When children feel good about themselves, they learn more. They face challenges with confidence. Here are some ways to help build your child’s self-esteem:
- Tell your child you will always love him. Children need to know they are loved, even when they fail.
- Give your child responsibilities he can handle. Completing a task on his own will give him a sense of accomplishment and contribution.
- Help your child develop a sense of trust. Show that you believe in him by giving him opportunities to be trustworthy. Keep your promises to him so he’ll learn to trust others.
- Allow your child to make choices. For example, you might pick out two outfits and let him choose one.
- Praise your child often—but only when it is deserved. Praise teaches children to do their best. False praise teaches doing just enough to get by.
Copyright © Parent Institute