course, they must be taught a better way of treating friends.
Try these ideas if you find your child being mean:
• Separate the children to diffuse the situation.
• Have a heart-to-heart. Help your child understand how her actions are hurtful.
• Consider options. Discuss how your child might handle the situation differently now or in the future.
• Set clear rules. For example, “If you hit or grab, you get time out.”
• Focus on prevention. Talk a lot about kindness and sharing. Praise your child when she plays nicely.
Copyright © Parent Institute