Parents can help children improve their writing. Here are some suggestions:
1. Ask your child what she chooses to write about at school.
2. At parent-teacher conferences, ask to see your child’s writing. Later, talk about these writings with your child.
3. Praise your child’s writing attempts. Always find something you like.
4. Let your child see you writing. Share some of your writing with your child.
5. Encourage your child to write with you at home. She can take phone messages, write a letter to her grandparents, or make a grocery list.
6. Leave notes for your child. Have her write back.
7. Have paper and pencils available for your child to use at home.
8. Show your child that writing is important. It will become important to her, too.
Copyright © Parent Institute