To build a hotel, get a tall, narrow glass jar. Help your child fill the jar with damp soil. Stir in some earthworms. Then have him place bits of lettuce, grass, leaves, and coffee grounds on top of the soil. Wrap the jar with black paper secured by two rubber bands.
Don’t touch it for one day. Then uncover. Have your child observe the worms in the hotel for several days.
Ask questions like these:
- Did the worms move? (Did they burrow along the glass?)
- What did the worms eat? Do they ingest the soil?
- Do worms prefer being dry or wet? In the dark or light?
- Which end of the worm is the mouth?
- What effect do the worms have on the soil?
Copyright © Parent Institute