What can you do to help your child with homework this year? Prepare your child well, and make sure that he has:
- A quiet place to work with good light.
- A regular time each day for doing homework.
- Basic supplies, such as paper, pencils, pens, markers and ruler.
How can you talk with your child about homework? Ask these questions:
- What’s your assignment today?
- Is the assignment clear? (If not, suggest calling the school’s homework hotline or a classmate.)
- When is it due?
- If it’s a long-term assignment (e.g., a term paper or science project), have you written out the steps that you’ll need to follow to finish it? Have you made a schedule?
- Do you need special resources (e.g., a trip to the library or access to a computer)?
- Do you need special supplies (e.g., graph paper or poster board)?
- Have you started today’s assignment? Finished it?
- Would a practice test be useful?
Copyright © Parent Institute