They think they can when others might not. Therefore, they do better in school.
Doing things like these will build your child’s self-esteem and keep it strong:
• Be honest with your child.
• Talk together every day.
• Laugh and play with your child.
• Ask questions in a positive way.
• Say one positive thing to your child every day.
• Teach your child how to do for himself.
• Don’t expect more than your child can do.
• Find out what your child is good at. Then encourage it.
• Discipline with love.
• Be involved in your child’s life.
• Show interest in what he’s
• Model a “can do” attitude.
• Praise your child when he does well.
• Say you’re proud that he tries.
• Offer encouragement when he needs help.
• Teach your child how and why he’s unique.
• Seek and appreciate your child’s help.
• Give your child practice in making decisions.
• Reduce fear of rejection. Say, “All people make mistakes.
• Say, “I love you” daily.
Copyright © Parent Institute