Here are things you can do to help your child understand many cultures:
• On your next trip to the library, look for a cookbook from another country. Find a recipe your family would enjoy and try it.
• Read literature with your child. Discover the rich folklore of other lands.
• Learn more about the dress of other countries. Talk with your children about what it would be like to wear a grass skirt. Why do desert people wear many layers of clothing?
• Learn more about musical instruments from around the world. Help your child make musical instruments. Pieces of wood set across a cardboard shoe box can be an African xylophone.
• Find a book that includes words from many languages. With your child, learn how to say “hello” and other phrases in many languages.
• Look at maps with your child. Using the newspaper, keep track of the weather in cities around the world.
• Check out a video about another country. Plan an imaginary trip to a foreign country with your child.
Copyright © Parent Institute