- Set a good example. Take an active role in your community. Attend a meeting of your school board. Take your child with you.
- Expect your child to do things for the good of the family. Show them that when everyone contributes, everyone benefits.
- Take part in community service projects as a family. Clean up trash in a nearby park. Set up a recycling program. Or, choose another activity your family can do together.
- Learn about current events. Choose an issue that affects your neighborhood or community. Read about it in the local newspaper and watch news programs for more information. Perhaps you and your child could attend a meeting on the subject.
- Teach your child the importance of fair play. Winning isn’t everything. Children should learn to take pride in doing their best—not being the best.
Copyright © Parent Institute