The colors from millions of raindrops combine to make a rainbow. You and your child can make your own rainbows:
- Fill a spherical or rounded glass jar with water.
- Take the jar outside.
- Hold the jar just right so the sun shines through.
- Put a white piece of paper behind it for the rainbow of colors to shine on.
Another way to make a rainbow:
- Use a sprinkler system to spray water high in the air. Try to make a fine mist.
- Walk around the mist to find the right position to see the rainbow colors.
After you’ve made several rainbows, see if you and your child can predict the best position to view a rainbow. You might also ask your child:
- Are the colors of a rainbow always in the same order?
- What determines how large a rainbow will be?
Copyright © Parent Institute