They are so worried about taking the test that they don’t show what they know.
Telling your child, “Just relax” won’t work. But there are ways you can help your child. These tips can get rid of test anxiety:
• Stretch out study time. Encourage your child to study a little bit every day. By test day, she’ll feel prepared.
• Don’t cram. A good night’s sleep is more important than an extra hour of studying. Studies show that last-minute cramming doesn’t work.
• Read the directions. If the test says to show all work, make sure your child shows her work. If she doesn’t understand the directions, have her ask the teacher to explain.
• Look the test over quickly. Before answering any questions, have your child skim quickly through the test. That way, he’ll be able to figure out how much time to spend on each section.
• Don’t be afraid to skip a question. Tell your child not to waste time worrying about a question he doesn’t know. Instead, go on to questions he does know. If there’s time, he can come back to the items that had him stumped.
Copyright © Parent Institute