Here are some suggestions on ways you can make a difference in your child's education. They don't cost money. They don't require training. All they need is you.
1. Read to your child every day. Long after children learn to read for themselves, they love this special time with Mom or Dad. Kids who are read to are the kids who want to read on their own.
2. Join your school's parent-teacher organization. When parents and teachers work together, schools improve.
3. Volunteer. The more help parents give teachers, the more time teachers can spend with students. Work full-time? There are still ways you can help. Ask your child's teacher what you can do.
4. Let your children know school is important. Ask about homework. Attend school events. Talk about how you use what you learned in school in your job.
5. Recognize your child's special gifts. Each child has special talents. Perhaps the most important thing you can do is to help your child see how he or she is special. That boosts confidence and sets the stage for learning.
Copyright © Parent Institute