Here are some things parents should make sure their teenager knows how to do.
For an active mind:
- Write a paper using a computer.
- Write a letter to the editor on a subject that interests him.
- See both good and bad points in an argument.
For a healthy body:
- Plan—and stick to—a fitness routine.
- Learn about AIDS and other diseases passed by sexual contact.
- Learn how to use the health system, from making doctor’s appointments to filing insurance claims.
- Know how to say no to a person who wants him to do something wrong or that he does not want to do.
To be a productive citizen:
- Watch and talk about a trial.
- Hold a part-time job or start a small business.
- Read a newspaper and follow current events.
- Open a bank account.
- Register to vote.
Copyright © Parent Institute