To teach your teen responsibility, expect him to take charge of:
- His decisions. Teach him to think before he acts. Have him weigh the pros and cons of each decision.
- His worries. Have him make a list. On one side list “things I can affect by my actions.” On side two, list “things I have no control over.” Help him focus only on side one.
- His learning. Teach him to study ahead instead of waiting until the last minute. Have him ask for help if he falls behind.
- His feelings and emotions. Tell him people can and will be unkind and unfair. But he can control his response. Have him do something positive instead of dwelling on negative behavior.
- His future. Teach him to set goals. Then have him post them in a prominent place and check them off as he achieves them.
Copyright © Parent Institute