Parents have a critical role to play in helping gifted girls during high school. Here are suggestions:
• Encourage your daughter to find friends who respect her abilities, rather than being threatened by them. In any school, there are activities that attract bright, capable students.
• Male companionship is critical for gifted girls, who may not date while they are in high school. Encourage your daughter to spend time with her father or another male relative doing something they both enjoy.
• Help your daughter develop female role models.
• Sports are important for gifted girls. They’ll develop self-discipline and learn the importance of working hard.
• Let your daughter know that you have faith in her abilities. Let her know that she should follow her dreams and you’ll always be there to help her.
Copyright © Parent Institute