Here’s how you can help:
• Ask him to tell you about his career goals. What would he like to do when he finishes school? If he’s unsure, tell him what you think are his strengths.
• Encourage him to visit the counselor or career center at school. They have tests that can help teens match their interests and strengths with possible careers.
• Promote connections. Does he want to be a doctor? Ask your family doctor to talk with your teen. Your teen might get a job at the clinic.
• Encourage internships. Internships are a great way to build skills and to try out possible careers. Even if he’s working in a fast food place, he could spend one day a week volunteering on a job that interests him.
• Help him write a resume. If he keeps it up to date, it will help when he applies for his next job.
Copyright © Parent Institute