You can start now to help your teen make a smooth transition from high school to college.
Encourage your teen to:
• Read up. A book about the first year of college will help her know what to expect.
• Write goals down. What does your teen hope to accomplish next year? What strengths can she use to get her there? How can she head off any roadblocks?
• Keep up with classwork. Even though your teen has been accepted to a college or university, she still needs to do her best during the final months of her high school career. Some colleges will drop students if their senior year grades drop.
• Consider taking a study skills course over the summer. Your teen will learn how to manage the heavy academic load most freshmen carry.
• Attend orientation. Once accepted, your teen may receive an invitation to an on-campus orientation. You and your teen should make plans to attend together. You’ll find out about classes, financial aid and campus life.
Copyright © Parent Institute