But the information they need to learn about careers is all around them.
When your teen visits the dentist, has she ever asked questions such as: Why did you become a dentist? What’s the best thing about your job? What do you like least about your job?
Most teens (and most adults) would never think of asking those questions. Yet people are usually delighted to answer questions about their careers and about themselves.
So encourage your teen to talk to friends, family members and others she meets. Here are some questions she might ask:
• Why did you choose this career?
• Did you always know what you wanted to be?
• What do you have to do to prepare for a career like yours?
• What special skills do you need?
• Would you do anything differently if you had it to do over again?
Copyright © Parent Institute