The Lawrence Township schools in Indianapolis, Indiana, give parents these tips for building character in children:
- Tell your child where you stand on important issues.
- Know where your child is and whom she’s with.
- Stay involved in your child’s school life.
- Listen and show respect to your spouse and children.
- Model and teach good manners.
- Demonstrate healthy ways to resolve conflict.
- Make a big deal of the family meal.
- Model appropriate behavior regarding alcohol and drugs.
- Talk about your heroes.
- Do service projects as a family.
- Establish family traditions.
- Assign home responsibilities to all family members.
- Read and discuss books with moral and value lessons.
- Set clear expectations for your child.
- Never cover for your child or make excuses for bad behavior.
- Learn to say “no” and mean it!
Copyright © Parent Institute