Special happiness and pride come from working together to help someone else. Many places welcome middle school students. That’s especially true if their parents sign up, too!
Here are some ideas:
• Your local United Way, which you’ll find in the telephone book, is always a great starting point. The United Way can usually point you to people and places that need help. So can the American Red Cross and Meals on Wheels.
• Senior citizens usually love to spend time with young people. Many seniors need someone to read to them. You could play a game. Or help do a craft. Call a local nursing home.
• Day care centers and preschools often welcome friendly helpers.
• Think about calling a local homeless shelter about helping in its children’s center, too.
• Are you and your child animal lovers? Try a humane society or animal shelter.
Copyright © Parent Institute