They worry more about failing grades, taking tests, and leaving friends and favorite teachers behind.
School-related stress can be relieved in a home that is as stress-free as possible. Parents can help by eliminating family stress:
- Start each day with pleasant words and calm routines.
- Avoid passing your stressful feelings on. Let your children talk about their own problems, not yours.
- Listen to children without being judgmental. Acknowledge and respect their feelings.
- Praise children for their efforts. Let them know you’re proud of them for who they are, not for what you want them to be.
- Don’t expect more from children than they are capable of.
- Turn off the TV and plan special family times together.
- Shield children from marital disputes.
- Correct children’s behavior without putting them down.
- Control your anger. Don’t make snap judgments and criticize children unnecessarily.
- Don’t leave children alone for extended periods of time after school and on weekends.
Copyright © Parent Institute