They often eat on the run, opting for junk food. Some children decide they are overweight and begin to restrict certain foods. Many middle schoolers become less active than they were in elementary school.
These practices can be harmful. A healthy body will help your child achieve a strong mind and success in school. Try to use the tips below for your child:
- Buy nutritious food. This could include lean meat and fish, low-fat dairy products, beans, whole grains, and fruits and vegetables.
- Do not let your child diet unless your doctor determines she has a health problem. Your doctor should supervise any diet.
- Try to eat at least one meal together each day as a family.
- Encourage your child to exercise (walking, biking, tennis) for at least 30 minutes a day. Exercise along with her when possible.
- Try not to criticize your own body, or talk about being thin. Instead talk about being healthy and strong.
Copyright © Parent Institute