The problem is often disorganization. They forget or lose assignments. Or they don’t plan well.
School counselors say these things are key to success:
• A good planner or assignment book. One with subjects already written down for each day helps students remember what to write.
• Multiple pocket folders or binders. Color-code them to make the different subjects easy to identify. Place papers that return to school in one pocket.
• A homework kit. Put pencils, paper, file cards and other needed school supplies in a box. Then no time will be wasted looking for what’s needed to complete homework assignments.
• A homework routine. Studying in the same place at the same time everyday makes doing homework a habit. Plus it aids thinking.
• A family reading time. Even older kids benefit when you turn off the television and read together. You can all read the same book, or each read your own book or magazine.
Copyright © Parent Institute