Free and low-cost field trips could be your answer! Kids get excited when they see and explore things for themselves. Consider taking field trips for:
- Visit a caterer. Ask how she determines what quantities of food to make for large groups.
- Arrange a visit with an accountant. Let him show you how he keeps financial records.
- Go to libraries or bookstores when they host authors for book signings.
- Interview a reporter at a local newspaper.
- Tour a radio or TV station and watch a live newscast.
- Dine at an ethnic restaurant.
- Look for foreign language music events.
- Watch a veterinarian work.
- Go to science events at local high schools and colleges.
- Visit fire and police stations, city committee meetings, and courtrooms.
- Explore old cemeteries. Talk about the time periods on the headstones.
- Go through the archives of your local newspaper. Look up the days you and your child were born.
Copyright © Parent Institute