Sometimes it just seems easier to “let them relax and gab on the phone.” But experts say this sends the wrong message.
Reading is more than a chore. Middle schoolers need to learn that people read their entire lives for a reason. They need to understand that people read because they have a motive.
Parents can motivate young adults to read by helping them see good reasons for reading. Try suggesting these:
- Laughter and excitement
- Learning how to manage personal relationships
- Getting insights into one’s own identity
- Understanding current events
- Developing personal opinions and values
- Investigating career options
- Expanding knowledge about a hobby or interest
- Becoming a shrewd shopper
Copyright © Parent Institute