Success happens most often to people who will not allow themselves to become discouraged.
Here are some ways you can teach your child this very important lesson:
- Talk about perseverance with your child. Remind her that we all make mistakes. Tell her that what matters is learning from her mistakes.
- Encourage your child to cheer herself on. Positive self-talk, such as, “I am going to make it through this,” really does help a person keep going.
- Notice your child’s progress and completion of tasks. When you see her working hard, make an encouraging comment, such as, “You’re really coming along with that!” When she finishes, say, “That job wasn’t easy, but you kept at it. Well done.”
- Give small rewards for hanging in there. Treat your child to some special time with you after she finishes a tough task.
- Be a role model. Pick a job that you’ve been putting off. Mention it your child. Then say, “Today I am going to sit down and stay with this until I get it done.” Keep your word.
Copyright © Parent Institute