One of the most important steps parents can take is to show an interest in their child’s life. A key way to do this is to talk openly about important things.
Ask every day about your child’s activities. What does she feel good about? What concerns her?
Also make sure you address these topics:
- The school discipline policy. Discuss reasons for certain rules. Review consequences for breaking the rules.
- The school’s safety and security procedures. (If you don’t know these, find out!)
- Your own family values, rules and expectations.
- The impact of violence in the media—TV, books, video games, music and movies.
- How to solve problems peacefully.
- The value of individual differences.
- Your child’s concerns about friends or others who may be dangerous to themselves or others.
- Personal safety issues and ways to keep safe.
Copyright © Parent Institute