Question: iep

MY SON HAD AN iep WHEN WE LIVED IN wISCONSIN- NOW WE HAD TO RELOCATE TO vIRGINIA AND HIS iep WAS DROPPED HE DOES NOT MEET THE STATE OF VA. qaulifications- I thought IEPs were carried theru state to sate. thsi was suprisisng to me- so alll the goals the previous teachers had set for him and now null and void..... anybody else have this occur? I was suprised to say the least...


Advice from Schoolfamily

LiviaMcCoy writes:
Each state has it's own guidelines for how to identify learning disabilities or create an IEP. They do not carry from one state to the next. Virginia uses a "Response to Intervention" model. In this model, a child is given intervention strategies such as specialized reading instruction or tutoring in math. If the child does NOT respond to the intervention, then they can receive an IEP. I do not know what your child's struggles are, but I would request a meeting with the school's special education advisor or school psychologist to find out what intervention services your child will be receiving to meet his learning needs. If this does not help, you might need to get a new evaluation done outside the school system. There are many highly qualified individuals in Virginia who will be able to advise you of what your rights are. Unfortunately, this is not easy. I wish you luck in finding help for your son.
  • Did you find this answer useful?


Answer this question:


Do you allow your children to watch TV or play on the computer before doing their homework?

Yes - 31.6%
Sometimes - 25.4%
No - 37.4%

Total votes: 4919
The voting for this poll has ended on: June 25, 2016