As I was proof-reading their stories I had tears in my eyes. The depth of the caring and empathy, from six and seven year olds, was amazing and humbling. I knew that I had to share their stories.
Some wrote about sickness:
- "I wish everyone in the world that is sick would feel better and not get sick again"
- "I wish all Grandmas and Grandpas would live forever"
Some wrote about wanting peace in the world:
- "I wish people could just work it out, instead of making war"
- "I wish wars would stop and people would be home and be safe"
Some wrote about hunger and homelessness:
- "I wish that everyone had a home and a family"
- "I wish that people had peace and had enough to eat"
- "I wish that other kids would be warm and have mittens, coats and boots if they were cold."
- "I wish all the people in the world had a home and all of the children in the world had love and peace."
One child wrote, "I wish that kindness would spread all over the world so that no one would feel sad anywhere."
Well done first graders! I think many world leaders could learn a lot from you. Merry Christmas!