1 minute reading time
Boost Your Kindergartner's Reading Skills, Using Common Core Standards
Common Core State Standards (CCSS) are clear and defined templates of skills that students should be learning at each grade level. They have been written for K-12 students in both English/Language Arts and Mathematics.
Parents can certainly help their kindergarten child learn the necessary skills to ensure understanding of these concepts. Here are seven easy activities, to promote Common Core Standards when reading simple fiction with your child:
- Carefully look at the cover of the book together, and ask him if it gives any clues of what the story is about.
- Follow a left-to-right sweep of each page by pointing to words as you read, or as she reads them.
- Have him tell you what the story is all about, in his own words including key details.
- Isolate unknown words or sounds, and practice them until they are known. For example, beginning letter sounds “b” as in boy, or sight words such as “the.”
- Ask questions about story setting and characters, and help her find evidence in the text to support her thoughts.
- Help him identify the main idea of the story.
- Help her connect illustrations to the words. For example, “How does this picture help explain the story.”
Paying attention to story details and finding evidence in the text and illustrations can help your child dramatically increase reading comprehension and fluency.