Staying involved in what is going on with your middle schooler is a tricky endeavor. She wants more freedom and you want to give it to her, but at the same time you don’t want to be completely cut off from her school life.
But there’s no need to toss your hands up and assume it’s a lost cause. We have several ways for you to stay involved (without your child thinking you’re being a nag).
1. Connect with your child’s teacher so you understand what’s expected
2. Go to school meetings and events
3. Volunteer to help out behind the scenes
4. Volunteer to drive kids to clubs or sports competitions
5. Post a family calendar to highlight everyone’s activities
We have lots more resources to help. Check out:
10 Tips for Middle School Parents
College Prep Guide: Middle School
Help Middle Schoolers Manage Their Homework
Middle and High School: Helping Teens Solve Their Own Problems
Peer Pressure / School Cliques