If your child will be starting at a new school, make sure you’ve gathered the documents required for the enrollment process.

Moving is hectic, especially if you’re enrolling kids in new schools. Think twice about packing your essential school documents. You might want to keep them with you—strapped to your body, perhaps?—rather than risk losing them amid the chaos of packing and unpacking.

Check with your child’s new school to make sure you have all the required paperwork. In general, you can expect to need these documents:

  • Original birth certificate or another certified document proving your child’s age.
  • Transcripts or report cards from previous schools. You may be able to authorize your child’s former schools to release these directly to the new school.
  • Discipline reports from previous schools, often required for grades 7-12.
  • Proof of immunization.
  • Proof of residence, such as a utility bill, rental agreement, or mortgage document.
  • Individualized education program documents, if applicable.
  • Medical information, as required by the state. Some states require vision, hearing, and dental screenings.
  • Proof of custody if you are your child’s legal guardian but not the child’s parent.
  • Parent or guardian’s photo ID.

If you will be discussing placement, the following items may be helpful:

  • Test scores.
  • A portfolio of your child’s work, including writing samples.
  • Notes from previous teachers about learning styles or other pertinent information.

Do you allow your children to watch TV or play on the computer before doing their homework?

Yes - 31.6%
Sometimes - 25.4%
No - 37.4%

Total votes: 4919
The voting for this poll has ended on: June 25, 2016