A student who is absent from school may be able to copy missed notes, complete missed workseets and receive help after school. However, other important aspects of the lessons are lost forever.
Absent students miss out on discussions, questions raised, explanations and much more. Students fall behind and sometimes never recover. What a student misses in one class session is needed as a foundation for what he will learn in the next session.
Here are some proven ways to support good school attendance:
• Talk with your teen about the importance of attending school regularly.
• Avoid scheduling family trips or doctor appointments during school hours.
• Make sure your teen eats healthy foods and gets enough sleep and exercise.
• Don’t accept excuses for why your teen “must” miss or be late for school.
• Discuss what happened at school each day.
• Support school rules and consequences for skipping class and being tardy.
• Provide incentives for improving school attendance and promptness.
Copyright © Parent Institute