In early elementary school, kids learn to read. By about 3rd grade, they read to learn. This is when some learning disabilities stand out.
Look for these warning signs:
- Strong thinking skills combined with trouble reading
- Slow progress in reading and writing
- Frequent hesitation (such as “Um...”) when figuring out words
- Not understanding the meaning of what is read
- Disinterest in reading for fun
- Messy handwriting but good typing skills
If you’re worried that your child may have a learning disability, talk with the teacher. There are many excellent resources available to help.
Copyright © Parent Institute