- Explain it. Talk about what responsibility means. Give some examples.
- Examine it. Look for examples of responsibility. Did a character on a TV show take responsibility for his actions? Point it out. Talk about it with your child.
- Exhibit it. Your personal example is still the strongest way you teach.
- Encourage it. Help your child think about ways he can be responsible. He might start to pick up his room every day. When he does, be sure you notice what he’s done and praise him. When he does his homework without nagging, say something.
- Expect it. Set rules and consequences. Now that he knows what you expect, make sure he follows through. It’s not enough to pick up after himself two days a week. Expect that he will do it every day. Make sure there are consequences if he doesn’t.
- Evaluate it. How is he doing? After a few weeks, talk again.
Copyright © Parent Institute