1. Get to know your child's teacher. One study found one-third of all parents never met or talked with their child's teacher. You know important things about your child that you can tell her teacher. Introduce yourself.
2. Let your child know that homework is important. Set a regular time for homework. Find a quiet place for your child to study. And be there to help.
3. Let your child know he can succeed. Tell him you expect him to do his best. Talk about school every day. Praise good work.
4. Read to and with your children every day. During reading time, turn off the TV and radio. Talk about books with your child. Be sure to let her see you reading.
5. Find out how you can get involved in your child's school. Join the parent-teacher organization. Plan to attend special school events. Be a volunteer.
Copyright © Parent Institute