Some parents get into the habit of doing things for their children. It’s not until they talk with other parents that they realize that other kids make their own beds, prepare their own lunches or put dishes in the dishwasher.
What can parents reasonably expect elementary school children to do? Here’s a partial list:
- Fix snacks.
- Get themselves up in the morning.
- Make their bed.
- Change the sheets on their bed.
- Load and empty the dishwasher.
- Take clothes out of the dryer.
- Fold towels or washcloths after they come out of the dryer.
- Make a salad.
- Read to a younger brother or sister.
- Help a younger sister or brother with spelling words.
- Pack their backpack for school the next day.
- Give permission slips to a parent.
- Make sure signed permission slips go back in the backpack.
Copyright © Parent Institute