• Help your teen think about what causes stress. Then help him think about ways to handle it. If he knows he gets nervous before a big test, setting aside extra study time may help him feel more relaxed.
• Teach your teen how to relax. Deep breathing or relaxing muscles can help teens feel more in control.
• Focus on the positive. Stress gets worse when your teen thinks, “Things will never get better.” Help your teen say things like, “Even if I can’t finish everything tonight, I can make a good start.”
• Make sure your teen gets enough exercise.
• Avoid caffeine. It can increase feelings of anxiety.
• Avoid perfectionism. Some teens create stress by expecting perfection in everything. Help your teen put things in perspective. No one can be best in everything.
• Help your teen learn to take breaks from stressful situations. Listening to music or spending time with friends can reduce stress.
Copyright © Parent Institute