It’s also a night for underage drinking. And that can lead to serious problems.
It’s not just the danger of a car crash, although that’s serious enough. Teens often binge on alcohol, drinking five or more drinks in a row. That can lead to alcohol poisoning or even death.
What can you as a parent do? Here are some steps to take:
• Talk about drinking before the prom. Send a clear message about drinking on prom night.
• Find out who is driving. If your teen is riding in a limo, make sure it’s one that does not allow underage drinking.
• Work with other parents to plan alcohol-free parties before and after the prom.
• Prepare your teen for peer pressure. Brainstorm some ways to say no to drinking.
• Don’t allow your teen go to a party in a hotel room.
• Stay up until your teen gets home.
Copyright © Parent Institute