Regular attendance is essential for school success. As important as school success is, it’s just one reason why regular attendance is critical. Students who skip school are more likely to:
- Fall behind their classmates.
- Drop out.
- Join a gang.
- Use alcohol or illegal drugs.
- Get arrested.You can influence your child to reduce risks and increase his chances for success (unless he is ill or there is an emergency).
To keep attendance up:
- Make clear to him that you expect him to be in school. Let him know you place a high priority on this.
- Have consequences if he is truant. Discuss these with him in advance.
- Schedule doctor appointments during non-school hours if possible. If this is truly not possible, write a note to his teachers and the office staff explaining his absence.
- Remember that school is his job and don’t keep him out of school to work outside the home.
Copyright © Parent Institute