Try these ideas:
1. Talk with your child every day about what happened at school. Ask if there are any messages from school for you.
2. Spend time together regularly. Relax and share a meal or snack. Tell your child often what you like about him.
3. Listen to and share your child’s worries. Support what you think is good about the school. Offer to talk with school officials about practices you don’t think are good for your child.
4. Don’t scold and argue when your child brings home bad news. Listen to your child’s reasons and brainstorm ways to improve the situation. Always let your child know you believe he can be successful.
5. Show you value education by encouraging homework and reading. Help your child pick a good time and place to study. Make sure he has everything he needs—materials and your unconditional support.
Copyright © Parent Institute